Thursday 3 February 2011

Is raiding worth the hassle?

I mean the standing around waiting for everyone to get fed, put the kettle on, let the dog out, put the kids to bed, finish their homework. yada yada yada.
The political intrigue and backstabbing.
The arguments over loot.
The wipefests and recriminations about whose fault it was.
The rules and regulations you have to follow.
Then it gets to the stage when, even if you get the boss down, someone will still tell about the interrupt you missed or that you stood in the fire a tad too long.
It’s worse than working in an office. And we do this for fun?

Why?


Well getting that first boss down is a great feeling. Every upgrade gives you a nice warm tingle. Then there’s those fights were its just you and the healer left alive with the boss at 2% health. The RL has already called a wipe but you keep going. Your team mates all cheering you on in vent. Your heart racing and head spinning trying to think of anything you can do to stay alive long enough to be the hero of the raid.


Well that’s a finely balanced argument if you ask me. The thing that always tips it for me is the social aspect of raiding. Having fun with like minded people. That’s very hard to do when you just join a new guild. When I came back to WoW last year I found most of the people I had known before had either left or were in the very high level raiding guilds. So I have no real friends within swiftness. Sure I get along well with a good few of them but the banter and light hearted piss taking that used to go on in my old guilds isn’t there. Maybe partly because it’s mainly European and the English sense of humour doesn’t always hit the spot with them.


It did make me realise that we take too much for granted though. I won’t deny I have had my fair share of rage g/quits in my time, pissed off over some triviality or I let some tosser get under my skin. When it comes to raiding guilds the grass is always greener…


I suppose there should really be a point to this post….ok then here it is.


If your in a guild with people you know and have fun with. Think very carefully before you type /gquit and press that button. As in RL follow the 24 hour rule. If someone pisses you off then wait 24 hours before doing anything about it. If you still feel as pissed of then they deserve what’s coming but 9 times out of 10 you will find you just don’t have that burning need to rip their gizzard out and can approach the situation with some calm and dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment