Thursday 27 January 2011

For the love of WoW

I have recently broken up with my partner of 2 years. We were engaged at one point and to be fair for most of that time we were very happy. Mainly, I realise now because we only spent weekends together. See we live 80 miles apart. Last year she decided she wanted to see more of me so I started staying over more and more until I was there full time. That’s when things started to go wrong.




She loves her soap operas and I just don’t watch much TV. So when her soaps started in the evenings I would log on WoW and have a few hours playing. At this time I wasn’t raiding so it wasn’t like I was on all night. For some odd reason this annoyed her. Initially it was just a bit of a joke. She couldn’t see the appeal of gaming and thought if was a complete waste of time and just a bit geeky.


From my point of view I couldn’t see the problem. She was doing what she loved and I was doing what I loved. Once the soaps were finished we got together for a few hours R&R together chatting and having a cuddle on the couch.


Soon the light hearted jokes about my gaming started to get a bit more edge to them and before long she was openly hostile to me spending time on WoW. The odd thing was, if I picked up a book while she was watching her soaps she was quite happy. See, she understands the appeal of a book because she reads herself but she doesn’t understand the appeal of WoW because she would never “waste time” on a computer game.


So my options are


A. Embrace the evil WoW and become the archetypal lonely old geek

B. Stop playing wow and get a proper hobby….knitting or gardening or something

C. Find a partner that is just as sad and WoW obsessed as I am.


Anyone know of a WoW dating site?

1 comment:

  1. WoW is a fine hobby. But, I promise you it will only last as long as you need it to, until you find something better, aka, get married, have kids, etc.

    I just got a new fulltime job as you read and am now too tired to even log onto wow...when I get home, I want to spend time with my two roommates/friends and cook dinner (which is one of my hobbies...cooking fun dishes, baking, etc, I love making people happy with food).

    I absolutely miss the people I used to play with in my guild but it may be a week or two before I am on a normal schedule and can play again.

    As for your problem...she was not right to criticize your WoW playing. As long as all the chores were done by both of you, if you do your respective activities then there shouldn't be an issue.

    Find a gal that plays WoW or has another hobby and be happy :)

    ReplyDelete